Books

Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Sailors and submariners, sofa-jockeys and sworn landlubbers all can find something to like in the two books I am currently offering.
Swimming in the Shadow of Death tells the harrowing story of the only United States submariners in World War II to escape a sinking submarine in the Pacific war zone and evade enemy capture.
An Irresponsible Adult is an adventure memoir, some times humorous, always entertaining, that recounts my 2007 singlehanded sail to Bermuda on a 32-foot boat and examines the forces that led me offshore in the first place.
In this blog, I will offer you a taste of each book: The first chapters of Swimming and IA, as I have come to call them.I will also offer you the opportunity to purchase the entire books, either in CD or printed form.
My background is in daily journalism. I retired in 2001 after 25 years as a staff writer at the Philadelphia Inquirer. At the suggestion of a friend, I applied for work at Soundings Magazine, a national boating publication, and have been a senior writer for Soundings since February 2005.
My work at the Inquirer earned two nominations for Pulitzer Prizes (many are nominated, few win) and won several other national and regional awards. My stories in Soundings have won three first place awards from Boating Writers International, among other honors.
I also have written a blog for Soundings' web site: http://www.soundingsonline.com/ .
My first book, The Sea's Bitter Harvest, was published in 2002 by Carroll & Graf, NY, to great reviews and can be purchased through Amazon.com and other online sources.
The CD versions of Swimming and IA are available for $15, shipping included. Printed versions will be slightly more once they are available. Please contact me at: mondoug@verizon.net to find out more.

No comments:

Post a Comment