Books

Monday, July 6, 2009

Robin is sitty happily on the mooring off the Connecticut River, although she has had to deal with her owner's mistakes. When I secured her, I did as I always do when on anchor. I attached two dock lines to the mooring line, the idea being to create a bridle that would keep the mooring line from chafing against the bob stay that rises from her stem to the bowsprit to keep the sprit in place. Such chafing can wear through any line over time.
Unfortunately, the penant between the end of the mooring line and a small pickup float was too short to bring on deck once the bridle was let out. So I left the float in the water.
Curt Michael, whose mooring Robin occupies, emailed me that while she is in good spirits, he had to modify my mooring arrangement. It seems the penant, left in the water, got snarled and wrapped around the mooring chain, causing a mess, indeed.
Curt fixed the problem, and my mistake was not enough to cause him to withdraw his offer to install the new Autohelm autopilot when it arrives. Curt is a mechanical engineer by training, a meticulous fellow by temperament and I have happily entrusted the installation to him.
To find a new autopilot, I did the very thing that has put in jeopardy such fine publicaitons as Soundings Magazine. I went online.
Through an online store in Navesink, NJ, I was able to purchase the auto pilot for about $200 less than at any other location. The auto pilot will be shipped directly to Curt. And once the instalation is completed, I will schedule a time to retrieve Robin and to sail her back to the Chesapeake Bay. I'm hoping that Curt will be able to come along for the trip .
Meanwhile, I'm 6,000 words into the youth novel that I had scheduled myself to write during this period. I got the laptop fixed by a local retired fellow for a reasonable price. Today, I'm taking the desktop computer to him because it, too, has begun to show symptoms of the stress that is created for computers when they are burdened with working with me.
Got to get back to the manuscript. Stay tuned if you like.

1 comment:

  1. Jiangsu yaxing chain co., LTD. (AsAc) is a professional engaged in Marine cable and Marine mooring chain production enterprise, and it is China's Marine cable and Marine mooring chain production and export base, is the world's one of the largest in the industry, the most has the comprehensive strength of the modern enterprise.

    ReplyDelete