Books

Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Just spent two days aboard Robin, painting in the saloon and working on replacing a switch that, when stepped upon, causes the anchor to come up from the bottom. Neither job is completed, but that some times is the way boat work goes.
It was ideal weather in Cambridge, Md., and the work was mindless, if not without demands on certain muscles not normally engaged. That was good, because I needed a mental blank slate. This week, Lyons Press decides what to call the book that I call Swimming in the Shadow of Death. I've been asked to come up with five alternatives to that title.
Selecting a book title is not the option of the author, ever, as far as I know. I like my title. It is alliterative, doesn't start with the word "the" (a personal issue for me) and relates directly to the story.
But I know nothing about book marketing, and the title is the primary tool that can be used to market a book. So I'm glad there are experts working on this. My main concern is that the book be published and read.
I have more to say, and I'll say it tomorrow. But right now, the World Series is on and I must bear witness.

No comments:

Post a Comment