Books

Monday, October 10, 2011

The thunderheads were in sight to the northwest, towering above North Jersey as they marched toward New York City. They would miss Robin.
But then the sky to our west began to gather in a steamy gray-gold wall and I suspected the city wasn't nature's only target this day. By mid afternoon, the lightning was visible over the shore towns north of Asbury Park. Robin was about three miles offshore, and soon the lightning was closer and the rain began. I had everything buttoned down, just in case the "severe wind" materialized.
It didn't, and by the time we were off the Shark River Inlet, the storm had passed.
Then a wind came up just off the bow and soon we were able to motorsail.
With the help of the wind, Robin made six knots or more all night. There was very little traffic off the coast, and I took ten minute naps to ward off that crash into sleep that can befall the sailor who attempts a true all-nighter.
Dawn came around Ocean City, NJ, and Robin was on anchor at 10:30 a.m. in Cape May Harbor, her passage from Manhasset Bay having taken an even twenty-five hours.
The anchorage was unusually full when I arrived -- unusual for a Tuesday morning in late August. I was forced to look for enough depth in parts of the anchorage I'd never before used, and I discovered plenty of deep water on the eastern end, near a green daymarker. I made a mental note to head for that spot immediately the next time I stop in Cape May.

No comments:

Post a Comment