Books

Tuesday, November 8, 2011

If there was any breeze, I'd be heading to the boathouse for a sail on Bluebird. But the air is calm, so I'll drive across the river -- or maybe take the dinghy -- to work on Robin. I'll take a photo of my project -- removing the stainless steel bolt that is stuck inside the mast, frozen inside an aluminum tube by corrosion, a situation that Dick Mills tells me is called Galling.
When the boatyard went to haul the mast, they had to use a Sawzall to cut the bolt on both sides where it passed between the mast and the mast step. That left the plug inside the tube.
I've tried heating the tube with a blow torch before using the sledge hammer and a drift pin. That hasn't worked. I've poured WD-40 into the tube. It hasn't budged. So now I'm going to try to drill a slot into the sawed end of the bolt and then use a cold chisel and a pipe wrench to try to twist the bolt free of the galling.
I'll take the photo in case my description isn't sufficient and my next attempt doesn't work and I need suggestions.

No comments:

Post a Comment