Books

Thursday, December 1, 2011

The first section of paint has been removed from Robin's mast. That leaves a bit more than 90 percent to do.
The paint itself came off quite easily with a brass wire brush about the size of a toothbrush. But that left, in most places, a layer that appeared to be some sort of primer. The surface was a blue-ish silver, and underneath was a white layer that, when sanded, spread like thickened paint over the underlying aluminum and was quite resistant to my efforts at removal. I went through several sanding discs before quitting at the current place.
Today, I went to Lowes and bought a circular brass wire brush (I think it's brass. The packaging didn't say.) I think it will fit either on an angle grinder or a grinder/polisher that I have in the basement. I'll see on the next trip if the stripping goes any quicker.
Suggestions from experienced aluminum strippers welcomed.

No comments:

Post a Comment