Books

Tuesday, April 10, 2012

I went today to visit two people -- Paul and Alice Shipman -- at their last known address. In truth, I went to the wrong address. I should have gone to the Laurel Hill Cemetery but I went instead to the older St. Paul's. I learned something by my effort.
If yor intent is perpetual remembrance, better not get a marble head stone.
On about half of the marble stones, all the engraving was illegible, so thoroughly had the stone wasted away, even if it had been only fifty or sixty year.
The Shipmans, who were married in about 1868, died within two weeks of each other in 1917. What a love story, hey?
The information I've found suggests they were buried in Laurel Hill, but when talking with the cemetery superintendent, I learned that I would probably have more luck at St. Paul's. I think he was mistaken, so I have another visit planned to prowl for the Shipmans' final resting places.
I'll try to get back later to explain why the Shipmans are significant to me at this time.

No comments:

Post a Comment