Books

Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Robin's refrigerator stopped working last year. We resorted to using blocks of ice to keep things cool. The ice melted, filling the bottom of the ice box/refrigerator with often-gross water. There was no drain, and the only way to remove the water was with cups and sponges.
One of this spring's projects has been the replacement of the refrigeration machinery. But while at it, I decided there was no better time to redo the whole thing -- insulation and all. That would give me a chance to build in a drain that we sorely needed.
The liner of the refrigerator was made of fiberglass covering slabs of foam insulation that was layered over the original, factory-built ice box -- another fiberglass liner, coated on the outside with spray foam. This original liner also had a drain that I discovered when I'd torn off the newer insulation.
The first liner -- the non-factory one -- had failed. There was a crack in the bottom, and that meant that beneath it,  all the foam was soaked with melted ice water that had collected there for who-knows-how-long
So with various tools, I scraped out all the old insulation until I was down to the bare wooden cabinet that houses the ice box.
For much of the last week, I've been rebuilding the insulation. Nothing is completely square, so each slab of foam must be cut oversized at first and then trimmed to leave a minimum of gaps. Where there are gaps, I've been injecting spray foam -- not a great solution, but the only one I can think of.
My selection of tools to do the cutting has evolved. I started with a utility knife that uses razor-like blades. I added to that the multi-tool and a pocket knife. Today, I discovered that a cheap, long bread knife works better than those other blades.
I have now cut all the pieces of foam -- making at least two layers with a total R-value of 21.4.
Next step -- creating a fiberglass liner from an 8 x 4 foot panel, the sort used to line showers. The ice box is now about 32 inches deep, so making paper patterns of each side is difficult. I have to literally dive into the ice box head first, feet above me. There right now is a maximum of 9.5 inches of width in which to work.
I'm praying an unemployed contortionist will stroll down the dock and volunteer his services. I'd even pay him to take over.

No comments:

Post a Comment