Books

Tuesday, November 20, 2012

This is a very busy week. In addition to Thanksgiving with extended family, the contractor completed repairs to the storm damage on the house yesterday, so I've begun demolition on that part of the deck that I know I have to replace. And Thursday night, Monica will drive me -- stuffed with turkey and stuffing -- to Maryland, where we'll spend the night aboard Robin. On Friday, Monica will drive home and I'll spend the weekend driving Robin north, to  the marina where she was hauled last year.
I started ripping up deck floor boards this morning. I was using a crow bar, a six-foot-long iron pry bar and a drill to back out the screws that hold down each board. It was very hard work. Lexi and Samantha supervised the project, and Zippy came by to inspect, causing Lexi and Samantha to leave their supervisory post in favor of high-cat-alert.
In that pause, I had a brilliant idea. Rather  than prying up each deck board as if I were going to save it, why not demolish it?
I went to the basement and grabbed the circular saw and began cutting decking along each side of the floor joists. In about 15 minutes, I did as much work as I'd done the prior hour.
But I have only 45 minutes left right now before I have to go pick up the grandkids from their half day of school. Better get back to work.

No comments:

Post a Comment