Books

Sunday, January 24, 2010

I'm reading the proof of a book to be published soon -- Overboard! It is about a storm near the Gulf Stream in May 2005 that took the life of a well-respected sailor who had already made 48 trips to and from Bermuda.
I'll let you know how I like it. I read the first 25 pages last night. I know the story fairly well, having covered it for Soundings magazine.
In the book, the doomed skipper tells his crew that there will be good times and unpleasant times on the voyage, but they will remember only the good. That is true in my experience.
But already, the book is reminding me of the unpleasant times. The seasickness. The surpressed fear. The what-am-I-doing-out-here moments.
So while this may be a good book, it may not be entirely pleasurable.
The author is Michael J. Tougias, whose earlier books include Fatal Forecast and The Finest Hours. I've read neither.
It's probably good that I'm reading it a year and a half before the next Bermuda One-Two. By then, I'll have forgotten the bad parts!

No comments:

Post a Comment