Books

Monday, February 1, 2010

Here's my review of Overboard! by Michael Tougais.
You might read this book in one sitting. The story pulls you along that well.
If you go offshore, or if you think you might ever go offshore, you would be served well to read Overboard! There are many lessons in its 200 pages, but here's a warning.
Don't let the story of these three boats dissuade you from blue water voyages. Remember: Almost everyone survives.
Tougais has a couple of writing habits that gnaw at my ankles, even though my mind brushes them aside because I want to know what happens next. For my taste, he reminds the reader too often -- and often with the same adjectives -- just how enormous the waves are out there. And he goes into some minute details about the folks onboard that I don't think help the narrative. He is to be excused because clearly he became friends with many if not all of the sailors whom he interviewed and, I guess, has difficulty distinguishing between facts that an uninvolved reader needs and ones that close relatives might find important.
But these are mostly stylistic issues, and you may not be bothered by them. As I said, I'm sure you will be enthralled by the story. Get a copy when Overboard! is published.

No comments:

Post a Comment