Books

Sunday, February 28, 2010

An Irresponsible Adult has been rejected by the Boston ageny who represents my friend Lou Ureneck. There were some encouraging words (if you are scraping for compliments) and the explanation that it's a tough market.
In anticipation of this moment, due to the fact that getting an agent is the toughest element in getting published, I had already begun sending query letters to other agents. Given agent response times, if you waited for one to respond, it could be five years before you got a positive answer should one in ten be interested in representing you.
The rejection came before the shoulder surgery, which was accomplished without complications on Friday. Now the left arm is in a device called a SuperSling, a contrapition of straps and hook-and-loop fasteners that incudes a large block of foam on the inside of the forearm to keep it in position below the shoulder.
I finally got a good night of sleep last night with the help of oxycodone. I'm stalling the morning dose because it keeps me sleepy. Equally important at this stage is a heavy dose of endlessly stupid television, which keeps me somewhat distracted from the discomfort which, on the ever-present scale of 1 to 10, where 7 is breathtaking and 9 makes you weep uncontrolably, is about a 3, but annoying.
When I was a kid, I used to refuse novocaine when my teeth were drilled because I wanted to be tough. I've softened with age.

No comments:

Post a Comment