Books

Friday, October 15, 2010

The wind has arrived and the grandchildren are here -- Richard and Justin. Bluebird is buffeted and her boom tent ripples in waves of blue. But the rain has gone and it is bright and sunny, with a few lingering clouds.
Richard just assembled a jigsaw puzzle (missing three pieces) twice and now is pushing a folding trike around the house. Justin, no Chauvanist, is pushing a baby stroller. Oops! He's now on the trike and Richard is playing with a truck.
We have a great time on Fridays when they visit. Their big sister, Lindsey, is in the third grade. We pick her up at 2:30 in the afternoon.
By Friday night, my back is in need of orthopedic attention.
Tomorrow I test Bluebird in the Burlington Island Race. (That makes the assumption that she still remains afloat.) The race starts at the boat club on the Delaware River and travels upstream about four miles. Then you have an option either of circumnavigating the island or of going a bit farther upstream and rounding a channel marker. (The leeward side of the island can leave you stalled.)
Any type of non-motorized vessel can compete. There is no handicapping and there are few rules. For years, the most successful racers have been in kayaks or canoes. But a good stiff wind could make a sailboat the favorite.
I won the race two years ago -- the last time it was held -- in Monica's kayak. Once again, there was little wind.
I had entered twice before in consecutive years in our 420 sailboat, a light, round-bottomed dinghy prone to capsizing. Both times I was sailing single-handed. Both times, in good air, I turtled the boat.
My guess is that with John Morrison as crew, I will be able to keep Bluebird upright. But I'm prepared to turn over the trophy to a new winner.

No comments:

Post a Comment