Books

Friday, January 28, 2011

My shame has been my ignorance concerning computers. I don't know how they work, nor do I particularly care. And I probably should.
Instead, I treat computers as fancy typewriters that can answer many of my questions without need of a reference work.
Then I went to the doctor for an injury, and the doctor told me to see an orthopedist. The injury was to my shoulder, and the orthopedist said he would operate.
I said that's great, but I just happen to have a more significant injury concerning my hand. The ortopedist said: I'm a shoulder guy. You need to see a small bone doctor.
And that made me realize that I am living in a body -- a machine -- whose functioning I no more understand than do I that of a computer.
But whereas you have to be a particular kind of smart guy to understand a computer, the really smart guys -- the doctors -- don't understand their bodies in detail any more than I do. They may understand knuckles, for example, but the probably can't tell you about warts.
And yet, I'm able to use both my computer and my body with some degree of skill, regardless of my limited intelligence.
So now I'm content in my ignorance concerning computers. Same goes for bodies.

No comments:

Post a Comment