Books

Sunday, January 23, 2011

Winter, the time some sailors dream of their boats. Our boats provide material for dreams. Robin needs a thick plywood bulkhead repaired and has sustained damage from banging her caprail and rub rail against the finger pier, probably when a wave slammed through the marina. Bluebird needs repairs to the centerboard winch and to the centerboard pin, which leaks.
So I dream instead of skiing. I've saved videos from the World Cup on the computer, and I've found a channel on the television that daily transmits video from World Cup races.
In a week, I'll drive north to ski a couple of days in New Hampshire with friends Charlie Flagler, who is sharing his time share, and Curt Michael. We did this last year. I came home with a torn rotator cuff. Hoping for different results this year.
A former neighbor, Jim, who is 86, suffered a stroke two weeks ago. He's back in his room at the assisted living place nearby. He is a hospice patient.
Jim had signed a living will that said he would not be given life support. In his case, it means that he is neither fed nor hydrated. I believe in a person's right to assisted suicide. But I'm not sure Jim is getting what he signed up for. I've visited him a few times. He wants to get out of bed, but he's kept there. His existence is too much like that of a prisoner to make me comfortable.
I would think that if he wants to get out of bed, he should be allowed to do that. He has the use of the left side of his body. He can grab the rail on the side of the hospital bed and turn himself up onto his right side. He can move his left leg in a way to maneuver his right leg. Were he on the floor, I don't think he would be able to hurt himself, so why not let him go there?
Because Jim cannot talk -- his tonghe won't respond to his commands -- he can't explain what he's trying to do. He becomes frustrated when he attempts to form words and cannot.
If he could tell me that he wanted to hurt himself, or perhaps to help himself, I would think that he has a sovereign right over his body to do with it what he wants, as long as he is not hurting someone else. If he wanted a glass of water, regardless of what his living will says, I believe he certainly should be able to have it. If he wants a hot dog, he should be able to try to eat one -- whether or not he is able to consume it.
Ah, I'm just not sure what to do with this. I need some help. More than that, Jim needs some help.

No comments:

Post a Comment