Books

Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Yesterday I worked on Bluebird, today on Robin. It appears I've found a new vocation, if not a new job.
Both boats are in a state of disrepair as I work through the list of repairs needed to make each seaworthy. Yesterday, there was more done to try to keep the water on Bluebird's outside and to make it possible to winch up the centerboard. Today, I slathered epoxy and caulk, both in the effort to rebuild a bulkhead and to keep the water outside.
It is a gorgeous evening in Cambridge, MD. The sun is just now setting behind a large sycamore and the temperature is sliding back down from the mid 70s. John Morrison just bought me dinner in repayment for his ride here to his boat. Tomorrow we'll share the two meals that Monica prepared at home and that are now in the cooler on board Robin.
With luck, I'll finish all the carpentry here tomorrow and then will begin the painting that will make Robin spiffy for the new sailing season. If I get that work done, the holding tank is ready to be reinstalled. But as I was shown last week, some unexpected occurance -- a broken tool, an unforeseen flaw in my installation plan -- could cause me in a later visit to try to finish the work I'd hoped would be done today. This is the joy of boat maintenance. Monica thinks we'd be better off chartering a boat a couple of times a year. I think we'd be better off being filthy rich so we could pay someone to do the work.

No comments:

Post a Comment