Books

Thursday, June 2, 2011


Robin's V-berth bulkhead is now patched and, apparently, is for the time being watertight. Constant vigilance will be necessary to avoid the rotting that occurs when a leak goes unnoticed.
I was lying on my back working on the overhead liner recently when I stopped to ponder what sort of fiberglass boat Robin is. It struck me that there must be significantly more wood than fiberglass in the boat. If everything that is wood was, instead, glass, there would be no rot problem. The bulkheads all are wood, as are the cabinets, storage bins, countertops, flooring, headliners, companionway ladder, caprails, rubrails, deck coring, cabintop coring, teak deck, bowsprit decking and stern pulpit decking and probably a couple of other items I've not thought to mention.
Robin still sits in her slip, awaiting the arrival of Dave Wheatly, owner of Generation III Marina, who two weeks ago had promised to work on her engine this week. I had asked Dave several times to let me know when he would come so that I could be there to open the engine compartment (and to watch how he worked on the engine.) There have been no calls, and so I have to assume that out of sight is out of mind. Perhaps in two weeks he'll have time. There appear to be no other qualified mechanics any place near Cambridge MD.
So we'll have to devote our love to Bluebird -- and hope she floats!

No comments:

Post a Comment