Books

Monday, July 11, 2011

We discovered on the July 4 weekend, when we prepared to visit another boat in our dinghy, that our outboard motor, now about 15 years old, couldn't be started. I've never taken good care of it, so there was no surprise. Indeed, the great surprise was every previous year when the little 4 horsepower Evinrude actually started.
Today I picked up a replacement motor from our friends Bill and Debby, who had moved up in status from their 2.4 horsepower Yamaha to an 8 horspower motor that causes their new dinghy to get up on a plane.
The 2.4 is in the car now and today or tomorrow, John Morrison will bring an inflatable dinghy to the boat club and well try out the engine just to see how it pushes two men in a boat. Then I'll take the motor -- and a lot of other supplies -- to Robin later in the week in preparation for our annual cruise. As we did last year, Monica and I are going to Maine.
Actually, John and I are going to take Robin to Maine. We're the delivery crew. Robin will be met in Maine by her owner, Monica, just as she was last year. (You can read about that trip in the August issue of Soundings Magazine.)
My plan is to point Robin's bow northeast when we reach Cape May, New Jersey, and, with the wind as our engine, sail as we might to Martha's Vineyard, where we'll stop and wait for a favorable current around the outside of Cape Cod. Once clear of that cape, we'll sail straight for Maine.
The trip involves, then, two offshore legs, each of which, with good wind, could be accomplished in two days but which may take a total of eight days or more. I've set aside plenty of time for the trip, so we should not squander any petroleum products.
There is still a lot to do before Robin will be loaded with all her supplies for the two-week stay in Maine. My goal this year is to go as far east as we can in those two weeks and to see some unspoiled waters close to Canada.
Some time in mid-August, I'll steer southwest and head back to the Chesapeake. So far, I have no crew for the return leg. But that's okay. I'll just take my time.

No comments:

Post a Comment