Books

Wednesday, October 24, 2012

There was change in the air yesterday.  A southerly wind stirred the clouds in odd configurations and it reminded me of a day in June 2009 when I was alone on Robin, sailing to Bermuda. The sky that day was not precisely like it was yesterday. I recall two long, towering columns of white, extending off to the southwest. We were about 350 miles south of the Gulf Stream, I would guess. The air was warm and, although I'm not skilled in forecasting weather shifts, I sensed as I looked down the canyon between the columns, that rain was coming, perhaps a storm.
Out there, you cannot run from a storm or put into some convenient anchorage. You have to take what is delivered.
So I simply enjoyed the view and awaited the inevitable, whatever that would be.
On that occasion, there was a brief rain, no big winds, and then the weather passed.
The memory yesterday was a pleasant one as I looked up at the sky and then went indoors.

No comments:

Post a Comment